BREAKING: Kobe Bryant inks two-year extension

Oct 30, 2013; Oakland, CA, USA; Los Angeles Lakers shooting guard Kobe Bryant (24) behind the bench during the third quarter against the Golden State Warriors at Oracle Arena. The Golden State Warriors defeated the Los Angeles Lakers 125-94. Mandatory Credit: Kelley L Cox-USA TODAY Sports

According to the official Los Angeles Lakers Twitter account, the Lakers and Kobe Bryant have agreed on terms for a two-year extension.

This comes as a little bit of a surprise, as the Lakers were supposed to have a lot of cap space next summer. The question that everyone had was how much of a pay cut Bryant would be willing to take in order to create room for other star players, but we won’t have to wait long to find out the answer.

The news just broke and all that the Lakers seem to have released so far is a press release on their official homepage. As such, the details of the contract are not yet clear.

“This is a very happy day for Lakers fans and for the Lakers organization,” said Kupchak. “We’ve said all along that our priority and hope was to have Kobe finish his career as a Laker, and this should ensure that that happens. To play 20 years in the NBA, and to do so with the same team, is unprecedented, and quite an accomplishment. Most importantly however, it assures us that one of the best players in the world will remain a Laker, bringing us excellent play and excitement for years to come.”

(via Lakers.com)

Catch the Lakers in action all season long by getting the best deals on Lakers tickets here.

discussion powered by

Topics: Kobe Bryant, Los Angeles Lakers

Want more from King James Gospel?  
Subscribe to FanSided Daily for your morning fix. Enter your email and stay in the know.